Setting up L2TP
Submit a ticket
and provide complete make (brand) and model of your router. We will provide you a custom instruction for setting up L2TP on your router, if it is supported.
These routers do not work as a L2TP VPN client:
- Linksys WRT120N
- Ubee U10C022
- Apple AirPort Extreme
I am getting error code 691 or "Authentication Failed" message: Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain.
To resolve this issue: Check your Username and Password
I am getting error code 809 or "The VPN server did not respond" message: The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding.
- By default, your VPN username is not the same as the email address you have registered on IronSocket.com. Check your VPN credentials here.
- Passwords are case sensitive. Make sure you do not have the CAPS LOCK key on.
- If you are using L2TP, make sure you have entered the correct preshared key for authentication. Check the guide for setting up L2TP VPN on your operating system for how to set this preshared key.
This error usually comes when some firewall or router between client and server is blocking the ports used by VPN tunnel.
- PPTP port (TCP port 1723) is blocked by a firewall/router.
- L2TP port (UDP port 500, UDP port 4500) is blocked by a firewall/router.
Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem.
If you have access to your router, also make sure PPTP-passthrough and L2TP-passthrough are enabled.
If you are still unable to connect, try using OpenVPN. OpenVPN does not require passthrough settings on router.