Windows Vista L2TP Setup Instructions
- Open the Windows Vista Control Panel.
- Go to the Network Connections item in Control Panel. A list of existing dial-up and LAN connections will appear.
- Go to the "Network and Sharing Centre"
- Choose the 'Create a new connection' item from the file menu.
- First click Next to begin the wizard, then choose the 'Connect to the network at my workplace' item from the list and click Next.
- On the Network Connection page of the wizard, choose the 'Virtual Private Network connection' option and click Next.
- Enter a name for the new VPN connection in the 'Company Name' field and click Next. The name chosen need not match the name of an actual business.
- The default option, 'Automatically dial this initial connection' can be used if the VPN connection will always be initiated when the computer is not already connected to the Internet. Otherwise, choose the 'Do not dial the initial connection' option. This option requires that the public Internet connection be established first, before this new VPN connection will be initiated.
- Enter the address of the VPN server you want to connect to, and click Next. You can find a list of VPN server addresses on our Network Details page.
- Click Finish to complete the wizard. The new VPN connection information has been saved.
- Go to Start -> Connect To. Once launched, right click the vpn profile and left click 'properties'.
- In the properties window, under the 'Networking' tab change the setting 'Type of VPN' to 'L2TP IPSec VPN'.
- In the same properties window, under the 'Security' tab click 'Advanced Settings'
- Set the pre-share key for IPSec in the 'IPSec Settings' window to "ironsocket" without quotes.
- Click OK to save and close the properties window.
- To connect to L2TP VPN, double-click the newly created connection. Enter your VPN login name and password and click Connect.
- To disconnect from the VPN, right click the VPN connection and select 'Disconnect'.